chapterseldomread

chapterseldomread

Normally to be found in South Wales or Ireland. An unhealthy obsession with literature & the musicals of Stephen Sondheim has led to a very happy 33 years on this planet.

I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
Alan Partridge, Rob Gibbons, Neil Gibbons, Armando Iannucci, Steve Coogan
Progress: 35 %
Pride and Prejudice
James Kinsley, Fiona Stafford, Jane Austen
Bad Science
Ben Goldacre
Communion Town - Sam Thompson My life was on hold the second I picked this book up. What a mightily impressive debut. A series of ten short stories all set in one fictionalised, timeless city. While there are some shared threads between the stories, they are tenuous to say the least. As with all short story collections, the quality varies. The first couple are outstanding and 'The Song of Serelight Fair' (the second story), is particularly haunting and completely hypnotic. The two weakest stories in my opinion are pastiches of classic pulp fiction and a Sherlock Holmes style whodunit. These are both very cleverly written but (like Ben Dutton says in his excellent review) after a few pages it started to wane for me. What I took most from Communion Town was a great hope for the future work from Sam Thompson. Clearly a very gifted writer and I for one can’t wait to see what’s next.