chapterseldomread

chapterseldomread

Normally to be found in South Wales or Ireland. An unhealthy obsession with literature & the musicals of Stephen Sondheim has led to a very happy 33 years on this planet.

I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
Alan Partridge, Rob Gibbons, Neil Gibbons, Armando Iannucci, Steve Coogan
Progress: 35 %
Pride and Prejudice
James Kinsley, Fiona Stafford, Jane Austen
Bad Science
Ben Goldacre
The Marriage Plot - Jeffrey Eugenides Ok, here's the thing, I hated this book for most of it yet couldn't put it down. The novel starts like a Jonathan Franzen novel. Totally unlikeable or relatable characters that are entirely self-serving and no, they don't get anymore likeable. Irritating characters are not a deterrent in themselves though. What I found most off-putting about this book is how overwritten it is. Jeffrey Eugenides prose are so beautiful in The Virgin Suicides but this novel seems to forget beautiful and inteads opts for smug. All that being said, I couldn't stop reading. While hating the chracters and a lot of the writing, there were some very interesting aspects to the novel. Mental illness, Christianity, Spiritualism, Morality all get touched on and these are the parts that kept me reading. Jeffrey Eugenides is clearly a very clever man but this particular book at this particular time just didn't endear him to me.