chapterseldomread

chapterseldomread

Normally to be found in South Wales or Ireland. An unhealthy obsession with literature & the musicals of Stephen Sondheim has led to a very happy 33 years on this planet.

I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
Alan Partridge, Rob Gibbons, Neil Gibbons, Armando Iannucci, Steve Coogan
Progress: 35 %
Pride and Prejudice
James Kinsley, Fiona Stafford, Jane Austen
Bad Science
Ben Goldacre
We Were The Mulvaneys (The Perennial Collection) - Joyce Carol Oates This was an excellent book although I did find it very unsettling and upsetting. Several times at the beginning, I actually had to put it down and step away for a while to let my mind settle. It is beautifully written and the story is fantastically told and I believe the crumbling of the family unit is very realistic. What lets it down though is the length.The book is a lot longer than it needs to be and it struggles to maintain the story and emotion effectively. After we finally learn of 'the event' the sense of foreboding (which is almost unbearable up to that point) leaves and while we're left with a fascinating insight into the downfall of a family it is stretched too thin.I'll definitely read more by Joyce Carol Oates though I'm hoping they don't all unsettle me as much as this did!